Monday, November 22, 2010

Story.

Sometimes. I feel the need to write. I LOVE to write almost as much as I LOVE to read. It comes as naturally to me as breathing. I own a small library. And a small story book to rival it.

Not many people know this about me. And because no one reads this but people I feel comfortable sharing with. But I have an editor. Her name is Tracey Norris and for the past year she has been editing my book. Yes. That's right. I have written a book. And one day I hope to get it published. It is one of my ultimate dreams. If I died after my book was published. I would be happy. I want to put something into this world. To make people remember me. For me. And nothing else.

So when I get in moods where I want to write. I write short stories and ponder upon ideas for my second book. I got in the mood to write this afternoon and this is what I created in the space of ten minutes.

She stood on top of the hill that took her half an hour to climb, gasping for air. With her hands on her knees she looked up and out at the surrounding view. Exhausted as she was she stood up straighter, put her had across her brow and smiled at the view she had climbed to see.

There was greenery for miles around her. To the left was the ocean that sparkled like a sea of diamonds. In front of her and across the valley were massive mountains, nothing like the one she was standing on now. Capped with snow. When she squinted her eyes she could make out small streams of melted snow trickling and tracking there way down the mountain range to the ocean. The clouds sailed over her head making strange patchy patterns across the sky and the sun beat down on her already tanned skin. As she stood admiring the view the cool breeze slowly cooled her down.

Eventually, she took in the view to her full extent and sat down under a large apple tree that was perched a few meters from the edge of the mountain. There were a few ripe green apples, she reached for one and moaned as it crunched and fresh apple juice streamed down her parched throat slightly quenching her thirst.

As she ate, relaxed and cooled down. She leaned back against the large tree trunk and within seemingly no time at all she fell asleep. Her long black hair fell across her face and sheltered her eyes from the sun that was slowly setting, her thick cotton dress keeping her warm in the cool breeze and the sounds of nature all around her rocked her into a light sleep like a child in a bassinet.

I know it's not much. And it isn't detailed as much as I would have liked. But it is only a rough copy. And who knows if I like this story. I may play with it more and see where it leads.

My short story's help me escape. And I hope reading this short pointless story made you feel like you were really on the mountain with that girl. Even if it was only for a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment